Vision Quests are an ancient and proven method of seeking a meaningful, deep, and profound change in your life. Vision quests, as most people consider them, have traditionally been conducted by indigenous groups of people all over the world as a rite of passage into adulthood. This ceremony usually served the dual purpose of helping the initiate to find their sacred medicine name, as well as defining their role in the village. Over a specified period of time, (usually 3 or 4 days) initiates stayed isolated at a sacred location, with no sleep, no eating or drinking allowed. This lack of sleep, fasting, prayer and connection to nature all worked together to help them enter the spirit world and contact their spirit guardians to ask for advice and protection. After the ceremony, a village elder or shaman would help them to interpret their experience and dreams or symbols.
And you’re thinking that’s great, but how practical and appropriate is that for these modern times? Actually, it’s perfectly suited for these changing and challenging times. Have you noticed how busy and hectic your life was before Covid 19? Our lives were so full of work and play. We had for ourselves to contemplate our life and where we were heading. We were so busy taking care of all the errands and tasks that there was little time to hear that “little voice” inside us that we need to guide us. Our previous “normal” world was so busy and hectic and so full of distractions and entertainment, we just could not hear it.
How can we then find a way to quiet our lives enough to find a new path and more fulfilling life? Modified vision quests are the answer. The beauty of the concept of vision quests is that they can be specifically designed according to your own lifestyle and goals. From a one-hour meditation to a meditation retreat to shamanic drumming sessions to a full three-day, traditional vision quest all are possible and many more. There are endless opportunities and ways to design your own personal vision quest. What I really love about these ceremonies, however, is that this is your experience. This is your life without anyone telling you what to do. What you experience is your truth and no one else’s. This is the tremendous difference that makes profound changes and insights so possible.
The basic elements remain the same; you just arrange them to fit your daily schedule and goals and I will be there to support you all the way.
Elements of Any Vision Quest:
- Pre-vision quest preparation/purification- prayer/body/spirit cleansing
- Clear intent and commitment/ Clear heart- to ceremony and process;
- Community and support- usually with support of your family/friends/community
- Length of time- can vary from one hour to three days
- Location- sacred site- special power spot for you to be scouted before hand
- Ceremony/prayer/chanting- before, during and after
- Isolation- remove all entertainment and distractions
- Fasting- no food or drink, no sleep, and prayer leads you to the spirit world- to enable you to connect to your inner self
- Interpretation of symbolism in the visions or dreams- Dreams or visions may involve nature symbolism – such as animals or forces of nature – that require interpretation by Elders;
- Observation of nature- a meditation of nature- make a connection to nature;
Through the combination of ceremony and commitment to your spiritual path, you can find your “dance your dream awake” and move forward toward who you are meant to be. Whether through a class or private consultation, let’s talk and see how to design your new dream and create a path of heart.